5 Bullet Friday – 23 June 2023
Tuesday, June 27th, 2023 in: Advice
I’m trying to get back into the habit of my 5 Bullet Friday (sometimes sent on a Sunday!) emails.
The idea is that I share with you what’s going on in my world running a growing business and also being an accountant and business coach.
- If you’ve been reading my emails over the last few months, you know I am a big reader/learner. It can be audiobooks, physical books, podcasts, training programmes, I soak it all up. The book that has resonated with me most recently is ‘10x Is Easier than 2x’ by Benjamin Hardy and Dan Sullivan. If you are ambitious, it will blow your mind! Don’t confuse it with the 10x Rule by Grant Cardone, as they are very different books and ideas.
- You need to help your team find their unique strengths. This can seem wish washy, as we have seats to fill in our businesses and often lack the luxury of aspiring to this. Yet, if you play the long game with your team, start planting the seeds now, you will reap the rewards.
- Constantly re-assess what you find fascinating and motivating. Again, this is a luxury. However, when entrepreneurs make huge progress, it is often due to being passionate about a project or new idea. The more you can free yourself up from the dross, the more you can add value in your own business.
- Core values are not just for the workplace! I had a bit of a falling out with my 19 year old daughter recently (long story). The end result was that I felt the need to re-enforce what values we have in our family and created clear boundaries on what was and was not acceptable. If you’ve watched Chimp Empire recently you will know that teenager chimps push the boundaries as a sign of strength. Then the big Mummy or Daddy chimp (or the big brother) steps in to re-enforce who is in charge and what behaviour is acceptable. This has helped me resolve the ‘situation’ and we both know where we stand.
- E + M – S. I learned this yesterday from James Sinclair (a successful entrepreneur). Entrepreneurship + Management = Success. As the founder of our business we are good at taking risks and growing it. This does not make us good managers! As we grow, creating a strong management foundation is key, allowing the owner to become the leader and visionary.
What are you up to this weekend? Becky and I are off with a couple of family members for a night away. No kids, and yes no 19 year old!
Have a great weekend.