5 Bullet Friday – 17th March 2023
Thursday, March 23rd, 2023 in: Advice
Hope you are all well. Here is another 5 Bullet Friday for you. Hopefully, there will be at least one thing that helps you in some small way.
- Phil Strutz, The Tools. I learned about this amazing man from watching a documentary by Jonah Hill (the guy from Wolf of Wall Street). Phil is Jonah’s therapist! He wanted to make the documentary to share Phil and his ‘Tools’ with the world. There is also a book called the Tools. He has helped so many famous people and can I say that his methods are simple yet powerful. They can help us all show up better on a daily basis. You can watch a trailer HERE.
- The Pearl necklace. A powerful tool is the pearl necklace. You may have heard that making your bed is the single most important thing to do in a day as it sets the tone. This tool takes that idea further in that every action we take is like a pearl in a necklace, each one is just as important as the next no matter how big or small it is. This is a powerful concept that I believe we can use personal and professionally.
- Another one of Phil’s tools is the Perfect Snapshot. Many of us have an ideal life or vision of it in our minds. However, it’s not a life, it’s normally a perfect snapshot of something for that moment. This is often not real. The point is we set goals that are not grounded in how we live. Stop chasing that perfect snapshot, when we realise what we are sometimes chasing is essentially the vision of someone’s life on Instagram, we can focus on real goals and aspirations for our lives and businesses.
- Ok, it looks like I’m sharing a lot about our mindset and thinking this week! The next one is about Anxiety. We all suffer from this on some level, you can argue it’s part of our survival system. Jordan Peterson shares one of the most powerful approaches to dealing with it that I have ever come across HERE. In a nutshell, we have many ‘windows’ open during the day like a computer, our brain is dealing with lots of different tasks. When we sleep, we sort the important memories/learnings into our long term memory, this is like the hard drive on a computer. Jordan explains that when you close down all the windows at night, you are left with less distraction and your sub-conscious mind has the space to speak up. If you have not addressed your problems and worries during waking hours, your subconscious mind alerts you to them like a warning system.
- What tools have you already got in your own locker? Phil’s tools got me thinking that we all have experiences that are valuable. Whether it’s for ourselves or to help someone else. It’s great to learn from others but not to the detriment of our own experience bank. My freebie for you this week is the Experience Transformer by Dan Sullivan. This is a practical tool to leverage your experiences. Think of a big learning experience in the last 2/3 years and use this tool to extract even more insights to help you in the future. We can all create our own ‘tools’ by thinking this way.